I love squares that sparkle because they look like jewels. Close your eyes and imagine a delicious burst of citrus in every bite of these tangy grapefruit bars.
Sprinkled with a kiss of powdered sugar, they magically dance on your tongue and leave you with a taste of summer.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar
3/4 cup cold butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
zest of 1/2 grapefruit
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1. In a small bowl, combine flour and confectioners’ sugar; cut in the butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until the edges brown slightly. Set aside and let cool.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Whisk in the eggs, grapefruit juice, zest, and yogurt until combined.
3. Pour the mixture evenly over the cooled crust and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until just set – the centre should jiggle but not be fluid when you gently shake the pan.
4. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes and then run the tip of a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen it.
5. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Serves 12 Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
With rhubarb in season, I’m also making Rhubarb Honey Yogurt Scones.
I can’t wait to see how they turn out.